To serve the body of Christ at Grace Evangelical Free Church through the provision of a gospel focused, Christ-exalting counseling center committed to counseling, training and education.
We believe that people are made in the image of God. Because of this, one of the most fundamental truths about people is that they are spiritual as well as physical beings. Although that image has been tragically scarred by the introduction of sin, all human beings are still image-bearers. Therefore many of the issues that people struggle with have a distinct god-ward focus that must be addressed.
Our task, therefore, is to bring help and hope through the gospel. A gospel framework gives us our worldview, methodology and structure for the process of change. This framework can be expressed in three words; creation, fall and redemption. Creation refers to our essence as created beings designed with key attributes to be worshipers, meaning makers and dependent beings. All humans worship; seek to make meaning of their lives; and all are fundamentally dependent. Fall refers to the suffering and complexities of the world as a result of human rebellion against God. Redemption is God’s accomplishment to restore what sin has ruined.
Our goal is to increase love for God and others in the lives of those we counsel. Circumstantial change is not the best barometer of success, as God often allows hardship and difficulty for our growth. We, therefore, must seek a more substantial mark of success: growth in Christ seen in growing fruit of the Spirit and the obedience of faith.
- GOSPEL. Our counseling is not to hold out a mere system, but rather the person, Jesus Christ, who holds all things together in His hands. Real, lasting change is seen in conformity to the character of Christ.
- COMMUNITY. Change does not happen in isolation, but in relationships. People are called not only to relationship with the Savior but also with His people.
- CHANGE. Insight alone is not change. Change happens when we begin to live in new & different ways, reflecting Christ in thought, word, and deed.
- HOPE. There can be ongoing growth in the midst of ongoing difficulty.
- SERVE. To be an example and resource for other congregations to follow and emulate.
BIBLICAL COUNSELING TRAINING & CLASSES
Learning to bring the gospel to someone who is struggling
Would you like to learn how to be more effective in helping a friend, family member or the people in your life apply the gospel to daily life?
Throughout the year we offer Discipleship & Biblical Counseling Training. The purpose of this training is to:
- Lay a good foundation of God’s ability to change us for His glory, and the practical ways this change can work itself out in our daily lives.
- Give a greater sense of God’s perspective on growth, modern problems in living, and helping others.
- These classes are offered twice a year on Sunday mornings.
Would you like to meet with someone ONE-TO-ONE about a difficult area in your life? Would you like to grow and change in your:
- Understanding the gospel’s impact in all of life?
We are open to talking about any subject, including:
Marriage, parenting, spiritual questions/confusion, anger, past hurt, feeling alone, challenging habits, anxiety, fear and more………
Biblical counsel is available for anyone at Grace.
If you’d like more information regarding any of these opportunities or to get involved with the Grace Counseling Center please contact the office of Grace Evangelical Free Church at 562-943-3791.
Because Grace Counseling Center is a ‘lay counseling’ ministry our counseling relationships are normally limited to ten sessions. Our counselors are trained through CCEF (the Christian Counseling and Educational Foundation) and are willing to meet regarding a variety of topics covering issues in traditional counseling and discipleship.
Appointments are based upon counselor availability and proper fit. If you are interested in seeing one of our lay counselors please email us and we’ll get you started on the process.